Friday, July 29, 2016

Bare Bones: I'm Not Lonely If You're Reading This Book by Bobby Bones

26115806From Goodreads:

"A touching, funny, heart-wrenching, and triumphant memoir from one of the biggest names in radio, the host of The Bobby Bones Show, one of the most listened-to drive time morning radio shows in the nation.

Growing up poor in Mountain Pine, Arkansas, with a young, addicted mom, Bobby Estell fell in love with country music. Abandoned by his father at the age of five, Bobby saw the radio as his way out—a dream that came true in college when he went on air at the Henderson State University campus station broadcasting as Bobby Bones, while simultaneously starting The Bobby Bones Show at 105.9 KLAZ. Bobby’s passions were pop, country music, and comedy, and he blended the three to become a tastemaker in the country music industry, heard by millions daily. Bobby broke the format of standard country radio, mixing country and pop with entertainment news and information, and has interviewed some of the biggest names in the business, including Luke Bryan, Taylor Swift, Blake Shelton, Tim McGraw, Lady Antebellum, and Jason Aldean.

Yet despite the glamour, fame, and money, Bobby has never forgotten his roots, the mom and grandmother who raised him, the work ethic he embraced which saved him and encouraged him to explore the world, and the good values that shaped him. In this funny, poignant memoir told in Bobby’s distinctive patter, he takes fans on a tour of his road to radio. Bobby doesn’t shy away from the curves he continues to navigate—including his obsessive-compulsive disorder—on his journey to find the happiness of a healthy family.

Funny and tender, raw and honest, Bare Bones is pure Bobby Bones—surprising, entertaining, inspiring, and authentic."

Goodreads - Bare Bones

Every morning while I'm getting ready I listen to The Bobby Bones Show.  I sometimes get irritated if I don't get to listen to it while getting ready to go to work.  The first few times I listened to the show I was not amused at all because they had taken the place of Big D and Bubba on my radio.  I don't like change, and I didn't like that they were talking all the time instead of playing country music.  Eventually I warmed up to them after they did a segment (I don't remember what the segment was about) and I started enjoying their show.  This love for the show has grown over the past two years and now I get angry when they decide to interrupt their discussions and conversations to play a song.  So naturally when Bobby Bones started throwing it around that he was publishing a book I got excited.  I love to read and I love Bobby Bones, so it was a perfect combination for me.  I was pumped up to buy the book and when it was first released it hadn't been released in any of my local stores (crazy since I live in Arkansas!)  I went to the nearest "big city" to visit Books-A-Million to hopefully purchase the book.  I showed up and searched and searched and searched.  I couldn't find it and eventually inquired if they had the book.  They said they were sold out!  I was like that is insane!  And then the lady told me they only sent her four books.  Yes, four books.  They sent four copies of Arkansas native Bobby Bones' book to an Arkansas bookstore... four books.  That baffles me.  I ended up placing an order for the book and a few days later the book was released at Wal-Mart.  I canceled my order and bought the book at Wal-Mart.  I was THAT excited to start reading it.  I ended up moving the book around my house because I wasn't ready to read a nonfiction book, (I go through spans where I want to read fiction and spans where I want to read nonfiction).  Eventually I got pumped up about reading it and started the book in late May.  I read a few chapters and found they were quite lengthy (and I'm not a huge fan of lengthy chapters).  I ended up having to hang out at a car dealership for two hours while my truck was serviced and my Mom's truck was worked on.  I read a BIG portion of the book while sitting and waiting.  I had gotten into the book at that point and was determined to finish it, which I did that night.

The book chronicles the life of Bobby "Bones" Estell.  He talks about his childhood with his alcoholic mother and how his grandmother took care of him.  He tells stories from his childhood and how he got a nickname that stuck with him forever.  Bobby tells of his hard work in college and working at the radio station.  It was clear in the book that he was destined to be in the radio business.  Bobby discusses the ups and downs of being in radio and all the fun and trouble he has caused.  The entire book tells the great tale of Bobby Bones and his journey to become the number one morning radio show in country music.

I loved this book!  There were so many hilarious moments in the book.  While I was sitting waiting on my vehicle to get serviced I was literally laughing out loud because of something that Bobby had done (yes, people were staring).  I absolutely loved the panty hose story, even though they got into some trouble, it was still hilarious.  There were also times in the book that were heartbreakingly sad.  Bobby talked about his mother and her alcoholic tendencies.  He wrote about her death and how everyone around him in the studio was heartbroken, but Bobby focused on finishing the show before dealing with the loss.  I loved how real this book was.  This was a book that was as raw and real as it gets.  When reading I could almost hear Bobby Bones' voice talking.  Everything had his voice in it, and maybe that is because he does radio and I always hear him talking!

I also enjoyed getting to see how the Bobby Bones Show developed and grew into what it is today.  It was great to read of the adventures that Bobby had with his radio pals as they were first getting started.  I felt that this book not only captured the essence of Bobby Bones, but also captured the essence of the friendship that exists every morning while they are doing the show.  I really enjoyed reading about how they try to keep the show as spontaneous as possible and only Bobby knows what the topics of the day will be.  I love that!  While Bobby has an outline of the show, he doesn't know what any of the others will say or do.  It makes the show very unscripted, very comical, and very real.  They try to be as human as possible, instead of acting like big time radio hot shots.  Their ability to keep it real is probably one of the biggest reasons why I've come to love listening to the show.

If you are a fan of country music and a fan of The Bobby Bones Show then I advise you to read this book.  This book deserves 5 stars because the book is so genuine and raw.

No comments:

Post a Comment