Friday, March 10, 2017

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

23168286From Goodreads,

"Join Peter, Wendy, Tinker Bell, and a cast of other familiar characters on a fantastical journey in the Word Cloud Classics’ Peter Pan. Included in this volume are the famous novel — Peter and Wendy (1911) — about the “boy who never grew up” and his adventures in Neverland, as well as a lesser-known prequel entitled Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens (1906), which tells the story of Pan’s early years in London. This lively volume weaves a tale that is universally relatable and wildly popular for adults and children alike."

Goodreads - Peter Pan

This is the book/story that the Disney movie Peter Pan is based on.  It begins with the typical story of the Darling children going to bed while the parents prepare for a party.  Soon Peter arrives to retrieve his shadow.  The typical story takes off from there and the children soon find themselves flying through the night air to Neverland.

I was so excited to read this classic tale that inspired the Disney movie Peter Pan.  I love comparing the books to the movies so I can see how similar they are.  I loved how similar this was to the movie.  A lot of the same characters were present in both the book and the movies.  There were a few settings that were different than in the movie.  A lot of the book took place in Peter Pan and the Lost Boys' home.  Also, I don't feel that the Indians and Tiger Lily played such a prominent role in the book as they did in the movie.  I remember watching the live action version of Peter Pan in 2003, and I feel that if Disney Peter Pan and 2003 Peter Pan were mashed together it would be almost an exact match to the book.

I didn't like that this was written in an old English style.  The book was written in 1904, so naturally it has the same language from that time.  I found it very difficult to read because there have been so many changes in our language and the meanings of words.  I had a few students who were interested in read this book, but I knew there were multiple words that today hold a different meaning than it did in 1904.  I think I would have enjoyed this book more if it had been written in an updated text.  Also, in the second part of this book, Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens I was very lost and confused while reading it.  The story just seemed to be rambling and talking about Peter as a child.  I was so lost while reading it and really wanted to just stop because I was so confused.  I definitely wouldn't recommend reading the second section.

At times this book was completely and utterly confusing.  The language made it difficult to follow and the second part was a complete nightmare to read.  I give this 1 star simply because it was so difficult to read and follow.  If you enjoy reading older books then I highly recommend this to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment