Friday, June 29, 2018

Polar: The Titanic Bear by Daisy Corning Stone Spedden

2157716From Goodreads,

"Written by American heiress Daisy Corning Stone Spedden for her son Douglas--as a Christmas present the year after they escaped the doomed Titanic--this charming and intriguing story gives an enthralling account of the disaster as seen through the eyes of Stephen's teddy bear. Illustrated with evocative watercolors, family photos, postcards, and keepsakes."

Goodreads - Polar: The Titanic Bear

Awards and Nominations:
  • Books I Loved Best Yearly (BILBY) Awards for Younger Readers (1998)
When I was in second grade I fell in love with a Titanic book that was in our classroom library.  There happened to be another person in my class who also loved the book.  She ended up becoming my best friend and we like to say we bonded over the Titanic.  Needless to say the Titanic and everything surrounding it absolutely fascinates me.  I love the movie, the documentaries, the books, the museums.  All of it.  Over spring break I went on a mini vacation to the Titanic Museum in Branson.  I was in my element and wanted to read and listen to absolutely everything.  Unfortunately I didn't due to time.  At the end of the museum is a gift shop.  I shopped around and checked out the books.  This book was there and I wanted to purchase it, but decided the Titanic ship piggy bank I wanted took priority.  Luckily I found this book in good condition at a resale shop.  I immediately pounced on it and devoured it. 

Polar: The Titanic Bear is about a Steiff bear that belongs to a very fortunate little boy.  The story is told from the perspective of the bear from the beginning to the end.  The boy is referred to as Master by the bear.  We see the two become best friends and endure hardships and journeys.  Eventually they end up on the grandest ship of them all.  We all know how that story ends, but the real story lies in what happens to the boy and his bear.  

I absolutely loved this book!  The first big thing is that this is based on a true story.  There are first hand accounts written into this book which makes it all more genuine.  There are pictures of the actual people integrated into the pages and story.  I really like how there are pieces of historical events in this book.  We see the boy and bear endure the measles and enjoy the Panama Canal.  There are pictures of all of these memorable moments throughout the book.  Of course we eventually reach the story of the Titanic.  We find that the entire family got off safely, but we also find out how they felt and their reactions.  For example, the little boy clung to his bear and slept.  I love the entire historical integration that was in this book, especially at the end.  The epilogue was wonderfully written and was full of details of the family throughout the years and what happened to them after the sinking.  

I think that many of my students who find interest in the Titanic would find interest in this book.  I recommend this to all Titanic lovers.  I give this 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment