Friday, April 26, 2019

The Red Pencil by Andrea Davis Pinkney

20454083From Goodreads,

""Amira, look at me," Muma insists.
She collects both my hands in hers.
"The Janjaweed attack without warning.
If ever they come--run."


Finally, Amira is twelve. Old enough to wear a toob, old enough for new responsibilities. And maybe old enough to go to school in Nyala--Amira's one true dream.

But life in her peaceful Sudanese village is shattered when the Janjaweed arrive. The terrifying attackers ravage the town and unleash unspeakable horrors. After she loses nearly everything, Amira needs to dig deep within herself to find the strength to make the long journey--on foot--to safety at a refugee camp. Her days are tough at the camp, until the gift of a simple red pencil opens her mind--and all kinds of possibilities.

New York Times bestselling and Coretta Scott King Award-winning author Andrea Davis Pinkney's powerful verse and Coretta Scott King Award-winning artist Shane W. Evans's breathtaking illustrations combine to tell an inspiring tale of one girl's triumph against all odds."

Goodreads - The Red Pencil

The end of April is here, which means this is the last poetry review of National Poetry Month.  I love reading poetry books because they are so fun and quick to read.  There are poetry books that have a story to them and there are poetry books that are just a collection of poetry.  I had to really search to find children's poetry books with a story. 

The Red Pencil is about a young girl named Amira who is living in a Sudanese village.  Everything is perfect with her parents and sister.  She has a desire to go to school like one of her friends, but unfortunately her mother disagrees with women and girls going to school.  Life is wonderful until the enemy, the Janjaweed, attacks their village.  Soon Amira, her sister, and mother must flee to a refugee camp.  One day Amira is gifted a red pencil from a refugee worker, and her entire life changes. 

This book had a lot to be desired in my opinion.  The storyline was scattered and felt incomplete.  Poetry is a tricky thing because you have to be very precise in what you write.  You can't dilly-dally around.  I felt like Pinkney was wordy instead of getting to the point.  Some of the poems felt like the same thing over and over again.  The first two-thirds of this book were boring.  The book was split into two sections.  I felt like the first section was way too long and the second wasn't long enough.  The book is called The Red Pencil, but Amira doesn't get the pencil until almost the end of the book.  I would have loved for the book to have been extended past life in the refugee camp.  I was really hoping to find out if Amira got to go to school and what she possibly did with her life, but unfortunately we never find out. 

While the storyline of this book was lacking, the illustrations in the book made the story a little more tolerable.  The illustrations were quite simple and drawn in pencil, but they spoke more than the poems did.  The illustrations gave the book depth because I felt like I was able to visually see and understand what was happening and what Amira was feeling.  I don't think this is a book that children would enjoy, but I think the illustrations would make it slightly better.

This book was not what I was expecting and it took a long time for me to push through it.  I know that it is a historical piece, but it was very dry.  I unfortunately have to give this book 1 star.  It wasn't up my alley and I don't think that many, if any of my students would want to read this.  If you are wanting to read about the Darfur conflict then this book is for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment