Friday, May 10, 2019

The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron

62151From Goodreads,

"Believing that her French guardian is about to abandon her to an orphanage in the city, ten-year-old Lucky runs away from her small town with her beloved dog by her side in order to trek across the Mojave Desert in this Newbery Medal–winning novel from Susan Patron.

Lucky, age ten, can't wait another day. The meanness gland in her heart and the crevices full of questions in her brain make running away from Hard Pan, California (population 43), the rock-bottom only choice she has.

It's all Brigitte's fault -- for wanting to go back to France. Guardians are supposed to stay put and look after girls in their care! Instead Lucky is sure that she'll be abandoned to some orphanage in Los Angeles where her beloved dog, HMS Beagle, won't be allowed. She'll have to lose her friends Miles, who lives on cookies, and Lincoln, future U.S. president (maybe) and member of the International Guild of Knot Tyers. Just as bad, she'll have to give up eavesdropping on twelve-step anonymous programs where the interesting talk is all about Higher Powers. Lucky needs her own -- and quick.

But she hadn't planned on a dust storm.

Or needing to lug the world's heaviest survival-kit backpack into the desert."

Goodreads - The Higher Power of Lucky

Awards and Nominations:
  • Newbery Medal (2007)
  • Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award Nominee (2008)
I'm still working my way through the Newbery Medal Winners.  Thanks to everyone who is still reading as I power my way through.  This book was the 2007 winner of the Newbery Medal and is another book to mark off my list.

The Higher Power of Lucky tells the story of a young girl named Lucky who lives with her guardian Brigitte.  Lucky is dealing with a lot since the death of her mother and her father dumping her with Brigitte.  She spends her days working at the museum and eavesdropping on the various twelve step meetings that take place.  Lucky is also trying to pack the perfect survival backpack just in case she ever needs it.  But one day Lucky thinks that Brigitte is moving back to France and she decides to take action by running away.

I had very mixed feelings about this book.  In my opinion it was very dry at the beginning.  Absolutely nothing exciting happened until the end of the book.  The first two-thirds of the book was just setting up the background for the book.  Lucky shared about how she came to live with Brigitte and we met the various characters like Lincoln and Miles.  It was very dull and lacked any kind of hook or excitement to pull readers in.  Lucky also introduced us to the twelve step program and what she did to help out.  The summary of this book really made it seem like the twelve step programs were going to be a bigger part of the story than they really were.  I just felt like there were a lot of ideas thrown in the book, but very few were carried out and executed properly.

The one thing I did like was Lucky finding her "higher power" at the end of the book.  The message of learning to let go is a really important one that many people can take and apply to various aspects in their life.  I am very guilty of hanging onto things.  I don't want to let go because I'm honestly scared of the unknown.  But I think that is the magic of the "higher power".  I can think of at least a dozen things in my life that I need to let go of and trust that it's going to be alright.  We all really need to take a leap of faith, let go, and believe that everything is going to be alright.  In doing this we all find our higher power, whatever it should be.

This book wasn't what I expected it to be.  I was a little bit disappointed in the book.  There are two other books in this trilogy.  I would honestly have to read reviews before I decided to read these books.  The first one just didn't do it for me and pull me into the storyline and series.  I give this 3 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment