Friday, June 7, 2019

Flutter: The Story of Four Sisters and One Incredible Journey by Erin E. Moulton

37927803From Goodreads,

"A beautiful debut novel for fans of The Penderwicks. Big things are about to happen at Maple's house. Mama's going to have a baby, which means now there will be four Rittle sisters instead of just three. But when baby Lily is born too early and can't come home from the hospital, Maple knows it's up to her to save her sister. So she and sister Dawn, armed with a map and some leftover dinner, head off down a river and up a mountain to find the Wise Woman, who guards a pool with miraculous powers. But the dangers Maple and Dawn encounter on their journey make them realize a thing or two about miracles--and about each other."

Goodreads - Flutter

A few years ago we had our class Christmas party full of snacks and fun.  I always have students who feel the need to bring me a present and they are always so excited to present it to me.  Near the end of the party I settled into a chair to open all the presents that kids had brought.  One of my students brought me a box and she apologized because it was all she could afford and she knew that I liked to read.  Inside were two books, some nail polish, and a couple pieces of candy.  I told her I was so excited about getting this present because I love to read and I love student recommendations even more.  She was so pleased with herself and shared that she had read both of the books before.  I told her I couldn't wait to dive into the two books.  One of the books was Flutter and I am so glad she gave me this book.

Maple is the second born of the Rittle sisters.  Her older sister Dawn thinks she is so smart and Beetle is just a toddler, but Mama is expecting a fourth baby.  Everything is fine until Mama has the baby early.  Maple hears everyone worrying over the baby and if it is strong enough to survive.  Maple immediately decides that she needs to collect miracle water from the Wise Woman in the Mountain to help save her baby sister Lily.  Dawn soon finds out her plans and decides to go with her.  Things take one scary turn after another as they race against the sun to collect the water and get home.

This book gave me so many feels.  The biggest thing that I loved about this book was the bond the sisters shared.  They were all willing to go to the ends of the Earth for each other.  Dawn knew that it was dangerous, but she also knew Maple had made up her mind and it was dangerous to let her go alone.  I relate so much to this book because my family has been my absolute support system.  They have fought for me, defended me, and would do anything to make sure that I was happy and okay.  The bond that is shared between siblings is an unbreakable one.  This bond was present in the Rittle sisters from the moment the book started.  They had the deep love of sisters, but also had the fighting sibling side as well.  I think many kids could relate to this book and the importance of family.  I would love to see this bond continue into other books following the Rittle sisters.

One thing that drove me crazy was that the whole concept of the Wise Woman of the Mountain was fictional.  While I was reading I was trying to find out where it was located and what it looked like.  After about ten minutes I realized it was a fictional place created for this book.  There was an awe that surrounded the place.  I wish that a real natural landmark would have been used because it would have made this book a thousand times better than it already was. 

This book was so good.  It had so much adventure and excitement.  This book had the perfect balance of thrill and sisterly love.  I give this 5 stars.  I was actually extremely disappointed when I realized this book only had 5 ratings on Goodreads.  It is well worth the read and I think that boys and girls alike would enjoy this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment