Friday, May 29, 2020

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

34381546. sx318From Goodreads,

"For twelve long years, the dread fortress of Azkaban held an infamous prisoner named Sirius Black. Convicted of killing thirteen people with a single curse, he was said to be the heir apparent to the Dark Lord, Voldemort.

Now he has escaped, leaving only two clues as to where he might be headed: Harry Potter's defeat of You-Know-Who was Black's downfall as well. And the Azkaban guards heard Black muttering in his sleep, "He's at Hogwarts... he's at Hogwarts."

Harry Potter isn't safe, not even within the walls of his magical school, surrounded by his friends. Because on top of it all, there may well be a traitor in their midst."

Goodreads - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Awards and Nominations:
  • Bran Stoker Award for Best Work for Young Readers (1999)
  • Whitbread Award for Children's Book of the Year (1999)
  • Nestle Smarties Book Prize for 9-11 years (1999)
  • Hugo Award Nominee for Best Novel (2000)
  • Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel (2000)
  • Hotze de Roosprijs (2001)
  • Maine Student Book Award (2001)
  • Golden Archer Award for Intermediate (2001)
  • Soaring Eagle Book Award (2002)
  • Indian Paintbrush Book Award (2004)
  • Colorado Blue Spruce Young Adult Book Award (2004)
  • Books I Loved Best Yearly (BILBY) Awards for Older Readers (2005)
  • Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature (2008)
I've officially finished Year 3 at Hogwarts and I am beyond ready for Year 4.  I'm seriously loving reading this series for the first time, but also getting to enjoy the illustrations that are with this book.

Harry is back at the Dursleys preparing for his 3rd year at Hogwarts.  He soon gets news that a mad man has escaped from prison and is on the loose.  Harry accidentally inflates his aunt which causes him a great deal of trouble and he hurriedly grabs his things and flees.  He soon finds himself staying in Diagon Alley while awaiting school to start back.  On the train, to Hogwarts, a Dementor enters and Harry passes out.  He soon realizes he is affected by Dementors and soon starts training with his Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher Professor Lupin.  As the year progresses Harry is gifted a map that will allow him to enter and exit Hogwarts without getting caught.  This map ends up being a turning piece for the entire story to unfold and conclude for Year 3. 

As I was starting this book I immediately knew that the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher would have a vital role in the book.  Professor Lupin is introduced and seems to want to help Harry in any way that he possibly can.  I found this interesting as the first teacher we met was being controlled by Voldemort and the second was a fraud.  It was nice to meet Professor Lupin and find that he had a rich history with Harry's father James.  As far as I know, he is a good guy.  I also have extremely mixed feelings about Sirius Black.  I can't decide if he is Team Harry or Team Voldemort.  I feel like he is for Harry, but he was extremely sketchy when he was introduced in this book.  I'm hoping to see more of Sirius in the next book to make a definite decision on his character.

I still love the illustrations in these books.  But this one had illustrations that spread over a few pages and connected together.  I didn't really like that because I didn't feel I got the full picture.  For example, there was an illustration of a wolf and it stretched over 3 spreads which are 6 pages.  It would have been stunning laid out side by side, but unfortunately, that isn't possible with a bound book that is printed front and back.  It was the perfect opportunity for a fold-out illustration instead of the way it was printed.

The more I read of this series the harder I find it to give a review.  I feel like all of the books are fantastic and it is difficult to find the best part of it and a weak part.  I give this book 5 stars.  I've said before that the illustrated versions are perfect for first time young readers of Harry Potter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment