Friday, March 12, 2021

Found by S.A. Bodeen

28116722

From Goodreads, 

"In the thrilling final book of S.A. Bodeen's middle-grade Shipwreck Island series, it's up to a young girl to save her shipwrecked family from a time-traveling "curator" of souls and a treasure-hunting criminal—and get them off the island!

Sarah Robinson and her family are shipwrecked on a remote and mysterious island. Their food is scarce and there's no sign of rescue. They have seen strange creatures, rescued a mysterious girl, and found the Curator, who has captured Sarah's father and stepbrother to use in a bizarre time travel experiment. And then the only man who knows about their island comes back—he's looking for buried treasure, and won't leave without it, even if it means leaving the Robinsons stranded.

Time is running out. They must get off the island."

Goodreads - Found

We have finally reached the final book in the Shipwreck Island series.  It is always bittersweet to finish a series.  Luckily, I haven't invested too much time in this series because all of the books are geared for middle school kids and are really short.

Found continues the story that started with the book Shipwreck Island.  Sarah is taking Fox to find the face rock.  Marco is working with the Curator to get the other half of the progenitor so that the Curator can replicate the animals he needs in order for his spaceship to fly again.  Nacho is back at camp with his Mom, Cash, and Sarge trying to stay safe and alive while a lady has them at gunpoint.  The question of if they all survive and get off the island is finally answered in this book. 

This book was probably the fastest-paced book in the series as it had very little time lapse throughout the book.  It was also probably my least favorite in the series.  I felt like there was so much packed into this book which is great, but it felt like it was all crammed in so the series could end.  I don't feel that there was enough detail or emphasis on certain things that happened in the book.  There was a huge secret of what the progenitor looked like and I honestly thought that we would at least find out what it looked like, but sadly we never found out.  I also really hated the ending of this.  The book ended with them getting off the island.  There was no epilogue to this book which was BEYOND frustrating.  I really wanted to know if the kids got a brother or sister and how everyone was doing months after the trip.  It would have been a nice touch to give a glimpse of life after being stranded on an island for a few days. 

I still stand behind my statement that this entire series would have been better suited as just one book.  I think that Bodeen took time and wrote a really solid first book.  The rest of the books in the series seemed more and more rushed as they progressed.  I don't know if Bodeen was putting pressure on herself or if it was her publisher, but there was a clear and distinct lack of details and effort in the last two books than I saw in the first two.  I think this rushed effort really hurt the series.  And again, I still think this would have been better rolled all into one. 

Overall, this book was okay to finish the series.  As the books progressed I started to lose interest in them.  The first book packed a punch, but the fire died down as I read each book.  I give this 3 stars.  I wanted more from this book than what I got.  It was good to finish the series, but it could have been ten times better with more details and an epilogue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment