Friday, April 23, 2021

Voices from the March on Washington by J. Patrick Lewis & George Ella Lyon

21870139

 From Goodreads, 

"This novel-in-verse plunges readers into the heart of the experience of the March on Washington, capturing the emotions of the day from multiple points of view. Throughout this moving, beautifully crafted collection of poems, six “soloists” tell their personal tales of how the March changed them. These voices are interwoven with those of more than 35 others, combining to share one incredible story of that important day. From a woman singing through a terrifying bus ride to DC to a young child riding above the crowd on her father’s shoulders, each voice brings something different and fresh to the story, making the March completely accessible to young readers. Based on extensive research, Poet Laureate J. Patrick Lewis and highly-lauded poet George Ella Lyon have crafted a unique and beautiful account of this important moment in our history."

Goodreads - Voices from the March on Washington

You may wonder how I'm able to read a book each week.  And my secret is that I don't.  I actually read books, write the reviews, and schedule them for when I want them to post.  For example, this one is a poetry book, and as I write this it is currently the middle of September.  That being said, I think this book is still just as relevant and important as ever. 

Voices from the March on Washington is a series of poems that tell the story of multiple people from August 28, 1963.  They go together to form the outline of a story and the feelings and emotions that were present on that day. 

In the first few poems of this book, I was confused about the "storyline" and why there were so many poems by so many people.  As it progressed I realized that it was simply telling the story of the March on Washington and didn't have a true storyline.  It was more of the emotions and feelings of the day.  The poems display the hunger and excitement for equality for all.  But I think the entire feeling of this book is so important today more than ever.  Just months ago (remember I'm writing this in September), people were rioting in the streets.  They were burning towns and destroying their city for equality and justice for African Americans who had been killed by police.  I'm not taking sides, but I am saying that peace is an option.  Peaceful protest is an oxymoron, but it is an option.  Thousands of African Americans gathered in Washington to peacefully march and stand up for their right as Americans.  They didn't burn buildings.  They didn't loot.  They didn't fight people.  I think that many people need to read this book and see how patience and maturity will push an issue far faster than burning your own city down.  

On the flip side, I think that I would have loved to have had a bit of an actual storyline sprinkled into the book.  The excitement and emotion of the day were great but having more of a storyline would have taken this book to the next level.

This was a good book, but the lack of a storyline was a missed point with me.  I wish that the book would have followed a couple people and would have included chapters for their story so we could really see how the stories weaved together and crossed paths on this day.  I give this 3 stars.  It is highly advised that people read this book to maybe learn that chaos is not always the answer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment