Friday, September 10, 2021

Guts by Raina Telgemeier

From Goodreads, 

"Raina wakes up one night with a terrible upset stomach. Her mom has one, too, so it's probably just a bug. Raina eventually returns to school, where she's dealing with the usual highs and lows: friends, not-friends, and classmates who think the school year is just one long gross-out session. It soon becomes clear that Raina's tummy trouble isn't going away... and it coincides with her worries about food, school, and changing friendships. What's going on?

Raina Telgemeier once again brings us a thoughtful, charming, and funny true story about growing up and gathering the courage to face -- and conquer -- her fears."


Awards and Nominations: 
  • Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Middle Grade and Children's (2019)
A few weeks ago, school started back.  The first week is filled with getting to know students and them getting to know me.  We go over the rules and procedures, as well as expectations for the year.  I also talked about my classroom library and let students finally browse the shelves for a book.  Usually, the first book students get isn't "the one".  It's either too hard, too easy, or doesn't hold their attention.  I had multiple students ask about graphic novels.  I have mixed feelings about graphic novels.  They are great for kids who need the support of a picture, but they are holding students back from reading full chapter books.

Guts is a graphic novel about a girl named Raina who gets a stomach bug at the same time as her mom.  Raina eventually gets over the bug and school starts back, but she feels sick when she has to talk in front of the class.  Soon, Raina avoids eating foods because she fears it will make her sick.  Will Raina ever figure out what is wrong with her? 

This book had a big focus on getting over fears and anxiety.  But I thought the most important piece was when Raina started going to therapy.  She eventually tells her friends she is going to therapy and they shrug it off and tell her that's normal.  I have always been a very emotional human.  I wear my heart on my sleeve, take everything to heart, but I act tough as nails.  As a kid, I cried a lot.  I don't know why, maybe anxiety, but I remember being asked if I needed to go see a counselor.  I saw that as such a taboo thing that I always declared no as I cried a little harder.  Honestly, I probably should have seen a therapist.  It wouldn't have been the worst thing.  Now, I feel things are shifting regarding the stigma around mental health and seeing a therapist.  And after the pandemic, I feel we all need to check in with a therapist.  This book normalizes seeing a therapist and I absolutely love that.  More and more kids are seeing a therapist or a counselor.  Most of these kids are pretty open that they see a therapist.  There are a quiet few that don't disclose that information to literally anyone.  I think students who see a therapist will be able to find some comfort in Raina and they will be able to connect with her.

I of course don't like that this book is a graphic novel.  I have a real love-hate relationship with graphic novels.  I feel like kids aren't getting a "full" story from a graphic novel.  There are minimal details included in writing because there are pictures.  I would much rather kids read a chapter book than a graphic novel.  I will give his book a pass of sorts just because it does have a heavier topic that is being presented in more of a kid-friendly way. 

This book was good even though I felt like it lacked plot and details.  It will go into my classroom library and I'm sure there will be kids who will devour this book.  I give this 3 stars.  If you have a child or student needing a graphic novel with a therapy or anxiety theme, then this is the perfect book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment