Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner

817982 From Goodreads:

"John Reynolds Gardiner's action-packed canine adventure story of a thrilling dogsled race has captivated readers for more than thirty years.

Based on a Rocky Mountain legend, Stone Fox tells the story of Little Willy, who lives with his grandfather in Wyoming. When Grandfather falls ill, he is no longer able to work the farm, which is in danger of foreclosure. Little Willy is determined to win the National Dogsled Race—the prize money would save the farm and his grandfather. But he isn't the only one who desperately wants to win. Willy and his brave dog Searchlight must face off against experienced racers, including a Native American man named Stone Fox, who has never lost a race.

Exciting and heartwarming, this novel has sold millions of copies and was named a New York Times Outstanding Children's Book.

Supports the Common Core State Standards"

Goodreads - Stone Fox

Awards:
  • George C. Stone Center for Children's Books Recognition of Merit Award - 1987
There are spoilers that are in this review.  If you haven't read the book or are seriously wanting to read the book, then I strongly advise you to not continue reading.



This book follows Little Willy as he tries to save the family farm after his Grandfather becomes sick.  Little Willy eventually registers to participate in the local dogsled race with his dog Searchlight.  After Little Willy registers he finds out that Stone Fox, a Native American racer who has never lost a race, has entered the race.  Little Willy participates in the race and he quickly pulls ahead since he knows the path.  Stone Fox slowly closes in on him.  At the final stretch his dog Searchlight gives it her all in order to win, but then the unexpected happens.  Searchlight dies from her heart bursting.  Stone Fox ends up telling the other racers that he will shoot if they cross the finish line.  Little Willy carries Searchlight the rest of the way and wins the money needed to save the farm and help his Grandfather.

I teach fourth grade and after state testing we decided to participate in an all day read in. For about three months my kids had been BEGGING me to let them read Stone Fox.  I had had the books in a tub on a shelf and they had been constantly asking to read it.  I kept putting it off and before I knew it it was the end of the school year.  We pulled the books out and started reading.  I had a few moans and groans whenever I said we were FINALLY going to read Stone Fox (why they were complaining, I'm not sure).  We started by listening to someone reading the book online.  We got to Chapter 3 and they were begging for me to turn it off and read it to them.  They said that I put more "fanciness" in my reading than the lady who was reading.  So I took over and read the rest of the book to them.  It was my first time reading it and we were all blindsided by the ending.  I heard a gasp from everyone in my class.  I stopped reading and said, "Whoa guys.  I did NOT expect that to happen.  I don't know if I can finish reading this."  My kids were like, "Ms.Tanner, we HAVE to finish it.  You can get through this!"  It was a wonderful book that my kids really enjoyed reading, but they were definitely upset at the ending.  I had more than a few kids who teared up, and I definitely had a few who cried.

I really enjoyed this book and so did my kids.  It was a short book that took no time at all for us to read.  I think that they would have lost the enjoyment of the book if we had completed comprehension checks with the book.  There were a few moments that were kind of iffy for kids nowadays.  There was a town drunkard and a guy smokes a cigar in the book.  And of course there is the whole fact that Little Willy's beloved dog dies at the end of the book! Most kids can connect with this book because they have a pet that they cherish, should that be a dog or a cat or some other animal.  Some even connect with what it feels like to have a pet die.  What's really interesting is that this book is based loosely on a Rocky Mountain tale.

This was a great book that definitely made me a tad emotional while reading it.  Students will love this book (I know mine did!) and adults will probably love this book too!  I give this book 5 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment