Friday, January 11, 2019

The Titanic by Emma Carlson Berne

From Goodreads,
35238096
"Discover the stories of the real people and events that shaped American history in the Real Stories From My Time series. Perfect for book reports with full-page illustrations throughout, these nonfiction chapter books also include historical photos, maps, a timeline, a glossary, and a bibliography at the back. Plus, in each book, an American Girl historical character shares a bit of her own fictional story.

Titanic includes real life stories of the passengers who were aboard the supposedly unsinkable ship-from everyday life on board to the night of the infamous iceberg collision. American Girl Samantha Parkington shares her own story of traveling across the ocean as a first class passenger on a steamship in the early 1900s."

Goodreads - The Titanic

I'm a huge Titanic fan.  My best friend and I like to claim that our friendship really officially started when we both fell in love with a Titanic book in second grade.  Either way I have an abundance of Titanic books and movies.  When I saw this American Girl book with Samantha I was super excited to dive into this book about the Titanic.

The main focus of this book is the history and stories of the people who were on the ship.  Throughout the book there are journal entries by Samantha that tell of her family that was on the ship.  The book is an even balance of fact and fiction that any lover of Titanic or the American Girl books would enjoy.

I have read the six main books of Samantha of the American Girl series.  I was really excited when I saw that this was a book with Samantha in it, because she was honestly the first American Girl that got me hooked on the books.  I absolutely loved that this book had such a balance between the fact and fiction of the story.  The main part of the story was the history and facts of the Titanic.  I think that this is highly beneficial for students to get the facts of an event, while also getting the fun side of a fictional story.  The inserts by Samantha were well balanced throughout the book and made for an exciting little short story throughout the facts.

This book was perfect the way it was.  It incorporated real pictures with illustrated ones, the same way it had the facts and the fictional story.  I think that anyone who loves Titanic or American Girl books would like this book.  I give this 4 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment