Friday, May 24, 2019

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

24490481From Goodreads,

"The beloved first book of the Harry Potter series, now fully illustrated by award-winning artist Jim Kay.

For the first time, J.K. Rowling's beloved Harry Potter books will be presented in lavishly illustrated full-color editions. Kate Greenaway-award winning artist Jim Kay has created over 100 stunning illustrations, making this deluxe format a perfect gift as much for a child being introduced to the series, as for the dedicated fan.

Harry Potter has never been the star of a Quidditch team, scoring points while riding a broom far above the ground. He knows no spells, has never helped to hatch a dragon, and has never worn a cloak of invisibility.

All he knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley--a great big swollen spoiled bully. Harry's room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in eleven years.

But all that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to an incredible place that Harry--and anyone who reads about him---will find unforgettable."

Goodreads - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Awards and Nominations:
  • Nestle Smarties Book Prize for 9-11 years (1997)
  • Carnegie Medal Nominee (1997)
  • British Book Award for Children's Book of the Year (1998)
  • Parenting Book of the Year Award (1998)
  • Specsavers National Book Award for Children's Book of the YEar (1998)
  • American Booksellers Book Of The Year Award for Children (1999)
  • Kinderboekwinkelpriis (1999)
  • North East Teenage Book Award (1999)
  • Literaturpreis der Jury der jungen Leser for Kinderbuch (1999)
  • West Australian Young Readers' Book Award (WAYRBA) for Young Readers (2000)
  • Grand Canyon Reader Award for Teen Book (2000)
  • Charlotte Award (2000)
  • Nene Award (2000)
  • Massachusetts Children's Book Award (2000)
  • Nevada Young Readers' Award for Young Reader Category (2000)
  • Golden Archer Award for Middle/Junior High (2000)
  • Indian Paintbrush Book Award (2000)
  • Washington State Sasquatch Award (2000)
  • Colorado Blue Spruce Young Adult Book Award (2001)
  • Blue Hen Book Award for Chapter Book (2001)
  • South Carolina Book Award for Junior Book Award (2001)
  • Rebecca Caudill Young Readers' Book Award (2001)
  • Prijs van de Nederlandse Kinderjury for 6-9 jaar en 10-12 jaar (2002)
  • Hotze de Roosprijs (2002)
  • Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature (2008)
When I was a child I remember my aunt giving me Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone because she didn't want my cousin reading witchcraft.  I tried to read it a few times, but I could never seem to get into it.  A great number of years later I finally watched all the movies and really enjoyed them, but I still couldn't bring myself to read the books.  I finally decided that I needed to, so I purchased a used copy and stuck it on my shelf with the rest of my "to be read" books.  I forgot about it until I received a package in the mail from Scholastic Insider.  Inside was the illustrated hardback edition of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.  I was beyond excited and showed it off to anyone and everyone.  I'm able to admit that at 25 I have FINALLY read the first Harry Potter book....and I loved it!

Harry Potter has lived his whole life under the stairs in his aunt and uncle's house because his parents were killed.  He has grown up being annoyed and overshadowed by his big brat of a cousin.  Harry's life has been terrible, until he starts receiving letters in the mail.  He soon finds out that he is a wizard and has been accepted into the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  Harry must put the pieces together to figure out who is trying to steal the Sorcerer's Stone from Hogwarts.  

I absolutely loved this book and I'm so glad that I was able to get it as a gift from Scholastic.  I hate watching the movie before reading the book because I always imagine the characters as the ones portrayed in the movie.  I was worried when I started the book because the book itself had illustrations and I feared that I wouldn't like them, but it was actually just the opposite.  I loved the illustrations and how they portrayed the characters written by Rowling.  This book would be a perfect introduction for kids getting into the Harry Potter scene.  The illustrations complete and complement the book.

The only complaint I had about this book was the pure size of it.  It is big.  This book is meant to be more of a coffee table book than an actual reading book.  It was uncomfortable to hold and difficult to take anywhere due to the sheer size of it.   I'm the type of person who wants to curl up in bed with a book or take a bubble bath while reading, but this book really required it to be on a table or lap.

I am so glad that I finally read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.  I'm a little late to the game, but better late than never.  I liked that the book and movie were pretty close to the same story.  There were some timeline differences and minor things that were changed, but it was still an excellent story.  I'm definitely excited to purchase the next illustrated book Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.  I give this 5 stars and recommend this specific edition of the book to young kids reading Harry Potter for the first time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment