Friday, December 23, 2016

Hound Dog True by Linda Urban

13429665From Goodreads,

"A story about small acts of courage from the author of A Crooked Kind of Perfect.

Do not let a mop sit overnight in water. Fix things before they get too big for fixing. Custodial wisdom: Mattie Breen writes it all down. She has just one week to convince Uncle Potluck to take her on as his custodial apprentice at Mitchell P. Anderson Elementary School. One week until school starts and she has to be the new girl again. But if she can be Uncle Potluck’s apprentice, she’ll have important work to do during lunch and recess. Work that will keep her safely away from the other fifth graders. But when her custodial wisdom goes all wrong, Mattie’s plan comes crashing down. And only then does she begin to see how one small, brave act can lead to a friend who is hound dog true."

Goodreads - Hound Dog True

I try to read a good amount of books that might interest my fourth graders.  I want to be able to tell them a good book if they come asking for a mystery or one that will make them laugh.  I saw this book on Scholastic, but didn't want to spend the money on the book.  Instead I was able to purchase this book at a thrift store for a couple of dollars.  I finished reading this book while I was at school working at our after school program.  My kids that were in the room at that time were inquiring about what the book was about and if they would like it.  What started as a simple conversation ended up with me trying to get each of my students set up with a book that I thought would interest them.

This book is about Mattie Breen who has moved from place to place thanks to her mother and her saying, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."  She finally finds herself living in her mother's childhood home alongside her Uncle Potluck and a neighbor.  She tries to learn how to manage a new school, new friends, a new home, and all the other challenges that come with being in the fifth grade.

I didn't really enjoy this book, but it did have an important message of the value of friendship and trust.  Mattie always seemed to lack friends due to their constant moving around.  I think it was very important for Mattie to find a friend that she could laugh and have fun with.  In the story Mattie didn't want to be friends with Quincy Sweet because she thought she lacked important friend qualities.  Throughout the book Mattie learns to trust Quincy.  It is important for students to understand that there are lots of people around them who are friendship material and that they can trust these people.

Other than the friendship and trust quality, this book was very bland to me.  There wasn't a lot going on in the book and the book itself lacked excitement and depth.  I enjoy dimensional books that keep me engaged and turning the pages.  I understand that it may have lacked depth because it is geared toward younger students.  Students might not be able to understand a book with such depth, but they also may not enjoy a book that lacks excitement.

I recommended this book to one of my students.  She was excited to read it, which means that my enjoyment of books is being passed on to my students.  She did ask what I thought of the book, to which I told her that I didn't really like it all that much, but I wanted her to read it so we could discuss it.  I give this book 2 out of 5 stars.  This book was boring and I felt like the chapters kept dragging on and on.  Hopefully my student will enjoy this book and will give it a fair review.

No comments:

Post a Comment