Friday, December 30, 2016

The Flip Side by Shawn Johnson

27206534From Goodreads,

"Charlie Ryland has a secret.

She may seem like your average high school sophomore—but she’s just really good at pretending.

Because outside of school Charlie spends all her waking hours training to become one of the best gymnasts in the world. And it’s not easy flying under the radar when you’re aiming for Olympic gold…especially when an irresistible guy comes along and threatens to throw your whole world off balance."


Goodreads - The Flip Side

I've always wanted to be able to fly and glide through the air with no hesitations or fears.  I never took gymnastics, although I wish I had learned how to at least do a cartwheel.  I remember following Shawn Johnson during her time at the summer Olympics in 2008.  When she published her first book, Winning Balance: What I've Learned So Far about Love, Faith, and Living Your Dreams I was beyond excited to get my hands on it and read about this Olympian.  I enjoyed the book, and when I heard she had published a fiction book about gymnastics I was even more excited than when her first book was published.

This book follows Charlie and her dreams of becoming an Olympic gymnast.  Charlie made the decision to live a normal life that was completely separate from her gymnastics life.  She had different circles of friends, kept her schedules separate, and even went by two different names.  The book was based on the premise of Charlie trying to juggle her hectic normal life and her prestigious gymnastics life.

It took a lot for me to really get into this book.  I found it hard to fall in love with Charlie/Charlotte.  I had nothing in common with the main character, and I think that was part of my disconnection with Charlie.  I did like that Charlie/Charlotte was willing to do whatever it took to make both of her lives work.  She juggled boys and her classwork and she juggled her elite training schedule.  I think that she really showed determination and the desire to reach her goals.  I think a lot of girls, especially gymnasts, would look up to Charlie because she tries to balance both aspects of her life to stay as normal as possible and to still reach her Olympic goals.  Her hectic schedule also allowed us to see what kind of time and dedication is put into being an Olympic gymnast.  Charlie gave us a really good look into what gymnastics is like.

I didn't like how the book ended with the epilogue.  I wanted (and still want) there to be a second book that continues Charlie's journey and how she managed to continue juggling with everything on her plate.  I just felt that Shawn Johnson left room for a second book to be written if she truly desired...which I would love.

The book wasn't as good as her first book, but it was still good.  This book didn't grab my attention and hold me which makes me give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.  It would have earned 4 stars if I wouldn't have had to force myself to sit down and finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment