Friday, February 10, 2017

George by Alex Gino

24612624From Goodreads,

"BE WHO YOU ARE.

When people look at George, they think they see a boy. But she knows she's not a boy. She knows she's a girl.

George thinks she'll have to keep this a secret forever. Then her teacher announces that their class play is going to be Charlotte's Web. George really, really, REALLY wants to play Charlotte. But the teacher says she can't even try out for the part . . . because she's a boy.  

With the help of her best friend, Kelly, George comes up with a plan. Not just so she can be Charlotte -- but so everyone can know who she is, once and for all."

Goodreads - George

Awards:
  • California Book Award Gold Medal for Juvenile (2015)
  • Stonewall Book Award for Children's (2016)
This book is about a boy who deep down feels that he is a girl.  George struggles to identify as a girl because on the outside she is physically a boy.  She cries at the end of Charlotte's Web and is picked on because of it.  The class has to prepare for a play of Charlotte's Web, and with the help of a loving and true friend, George is able to come to terms with herself and find her voice both on and off stage. 

This is not a book I would typically read, but I know I need to start branching out from my typical book genres.  This book was so interesting to read because the narrator is a boy,  but refers to herself as she.  I thought this was a really small detail the author paid attention to.  I enjoyed seeing George grow and come to accept who she was.  I felt like I went on this journey with George as she and everyone else worked to accept her.  I thought it was extremely realistic with how her mom reacted and how everyone just assumed she was simply gay.  I feel like so many transgender people deal with others thinking they are just gay.  This opened my eyes as to what life is like for some transgender people.  

The only downfall I had with this book is the topic of the book.  This is a very diverse book and in a small town, you really have to watch what books you put in your library.  I can absolutely think of kids who would enjoy reading this book because it is different.  Kids need to be exposed to different, but I don't think the book would be accepted very well by parents and other educators.  I hope that this book can break some barriers and allow doors to be opened for students who are in positions similar to George's.  

I think that transgender students would find this book really good, and they would really connect with it.  I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment