Friday, February 17, 2017

Strudel's Forever Home by Martha Freeman

26598173From Goodreads,

"Middle-grade readers will get a dog's eye view as an irrepressible dachshund narrates this touching story of a dog who needed a family, and a struggling family who needed a dog.

Strudel, a homeless dachshund, loves listening to Jake read from Chief, Dog of the Old West at the animal shelter. When Jake decides to adopt him, Strudel vows to be as brave and loyal as Chief. Only trying to fend off danger in his new home leads to trouble when Strudel makes mistakes such as shredding a "rattlesnake" that is actually a garden hose. But despite Strudel's humorous miscalculations, his instincts are mostly correct. He knows who is really a member of his pack, and that Mom's boyfriend Arnie can't be trusted."

Goodreads - Strudel's Forever Home

This book is told from the perspective of Strudel the dog.  At the beginning of the book he runs away for reasons unknown to the reader.  He ends up at a shelter where a young boy comes daily to read to him.  Eventually, the boy and his mother adopt the puppy and name him Strudel.  Strudel makes it his goal to take care of the boy and defend the home that he now lives in.  The story continues to a climax when the boy makes a bad decision and then has to pay the price.

This book was sent to me as a free book from Scholastic.  I figured this would be a quick read, but I really struggled with this book.  The text was minuscule and difficult to read.  I didn't like how this book was told from the point of view of the dog.  I've read a couple of books from a dog's point of view and I've enjoyed them.  These dogs always have a very strong voice and a very strong connection with their owner.  Strudel didn't have a strong connection with Jake and honestly had a very bland personality.  I found it hard to have any connection with any of the characters.  All the characters were poorly developed and lacked personality.

There wasn't much in this book that I enjoyed.  I give this 1 star.  I don't expect any of my students will want to pick up this book and read it.  It was poorly developed and poorly written.

No comments:

Post a Comment