Friday, August 23, 2019

Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott

39939417From Goodreads,

"Stella Grant likes to be in control—even though her totally out of control lungs have sent her in and out of the hospital most of her life. At this point, what Stella needs to control most is keeping herself away from anyone or anything that might pass along an infection and jeopardize the possibility of a lung transplant. Six feet apart. No exceptions.

The only thing Will Newman wants to be in control of is getting out of this hospital. He couldn’t care less about his treatments, or a fancy new clinical drug trial. Soon, he’ll turn eighteen and then he’ll be able to unplug all these machines and actually go see the world, not just its hospitals.

Will’s exactly what Stella needs to stay away from. If he so much as breathes on Stella she could lose her spot on the transplant list. Either one of them could die. The only way to stay alive is to stay apart. But suddenly six feet doesn’t feel like safety. It feels like punishment.

What if they could steal back just a little bit of the space their broken lungs have stolen from them? Would five feet apart really be so dangerous if it stops their hearts from breaking too?"

Goodreads - Five Feet Apart

I love reading books that have a movie that goes along with it.  I love getting to compare the two and getting to decide which was better.  I try to read the book before I watch the movie, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.  I happened to watch the movie about a month before reading the book.  My boyfriend and I went to watch the movie together and I loved it so much that I cried at the end.  He also enjoyed it, but no tears were shed.  I'm so excited to share this book review!

This book is about a girl named Stella who has cystic fibrosis.  She has been in and out of the hospital since she was six.  The older she gets the worse her lung function gets, and she is hoping for new lungs.  Everything is going accordingly until she meets Will, a cute boy with CF too.  She knows they have to stay six feet apart at all times to avoid catching each other's germs.  But as time goes on she starts falling for Will and decides that she is going to take back a foot so that she can live life like a normal teenager.

I feel like the "cancer" books are all the rage, but this is a nice change.  I love that this book is bringing light and awareness to cystic fibrosis.  It is something that isn't often discussed among young adults.  I love that this book really showed the "behind the scenes" of having CF.  It discussed all the medications they have to take, the treatments, the inability to breathe well, and dealing with getting new lungs or dying.  This book honestly made me step back and think about how lucky I am that my lungs do what they are supposed to do.  I am amazed every day by the strength of people who have life-threatening illnesses.  This book made me grateful for the life I have and to stop complaining about my health because things could be a lot worse.

This book is so much like The Fault In Our Stars.  I feel like this book was a little bit of a rip off of The Fault In Our Stars. It has the same storyline of two sick kids falling in love until someone gets too sick to continue.  I would have loved for this book to have a different more optimistic ending.  It felt way too similar to The Fault In Our Stars.

The movie and the book were very similar.  There were minor differences, but for the most part, it was exactly the same.  I enjoyed this book and shared it with one of my former students.  I give this 5 stars.  If you loved The Fault In Our Stars then you will definitely love Five Feet Apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment