Friday, August 30, 2019

Sounder by William H. Armstrong

2289808From Goodreads,

"Set in the Deep South, this Newbery Medal-winning novel tells the story of the great coon dog, Sounder, and the poor sharecroppers who own him.

During the difficult years of the nineteenth century South, an African-American boy and his poor family rarely have enough to eat. Each night, the boy's father takes their dog, Sounder, out to look for food and the man grows more desperate by the day.

When food suddenly appears on the table one morning, it seems like a blessing. But the sheriff and his deputies are not far behind. The ever-loyal Sounder remains determined to help the family he loves as hard times bear down on them.

This classic novel shows the courage, love, and faith that bind an African-American family together despite the racism and inhumanity they face. Readers who enjoy timeless dog stories such as Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows will find much to love in Sounder."
Goodreads - Sounder

Awards and Nominations:
  • Newbery Medal (1970)
  • Lewis Carroll Shelf Award (1970)
  • Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award (1971)
  • Nene Award (1973)
It's been a little while since I have read and reviewed a book on one of my reading lists.  I am currently reading through the Newbery Medal winners, the Coretta Scott King winners, the Charlie May Simon winners, the Missouri Gateway winners, and the Arkansas Teen Level 1 & 2 books.  It's quite the list, but it has been so much fun to read and compare the award-winning books and make my own decision if the book deserves the award.

This book is about a young African American boy who lives with his parents and siblings in a house way out of town.  The boy's dad has a dog named Sounder who is the best coon dog in the area.  The father and Sounder go out to hunt for food for the family.  Everything is fine until the father is arrested for stealing ham.  Sounder gets shot while trying to save his owner.  The boy must work to take care of the family and find his father, all while trying to get Sounder to bark again. 

There wasn't a lot that I liked about this book.  My favorite part was probably the loyalty and the relationship between Sounder and the father.  I think that anyone can relate to having a dog and the relationship you have with it.  It definitely made me think of my English Bulldog who passed away almost two years ago.  Anytime I was sick he would curl up with me.  If I was sad he would scratch and bump my bedroom door until I let him in.  The relationship I had with George was like none other.  This book has this kind of amazing relationship in it.  The dog is faithful and loyal to the family, but especially to the father.  This book shows what loyalty looks like in all aspects.  

This book had big-time jumps in it.  One minute the boy was just a boy and a few chapters later he was a young adult.  There was no real record of the time and the chapters weren't even marked by big events.  Each chapter was just more searching for his father.  The chapters were dull and all ran together.  I felt like the book lacked organization and a real storyline.  

Overall, this book lacked a lot in my opinion.  There was a great relationship between the family and the dog, but there was no story.  The entire book was just the boy wandering the state searching for his dad.  I have to give this book 2 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment