Friday, October 25, 2019

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

6654313From Goodreads,

"the longing.

Once Grace and Sam have found each other, they know they must fight to stay together. For Sam, this means a reckoning with his werewolf past. For Grace, it means facing a future that is less and less certain.

the loss.

Into their world comes a new wolf named Cole, whose past is full of hurt and danger. He is wrestling with his own demons, embracing the life of a wolf while denying the ties of being a human. 

the linger.

For Grace, Sam, and Cole, life a constant struggle between two forces--wolf and human--with love baring its two sides as well. It is harrowing and euphoric, freeing and entrapping, enticing and alarming. As their world falls apart, love is what lingers. But will it be enough?"

Goodreads - Linger

Awards and Nominations:
  • Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Young Adult Fantasy (2010)
  • Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Favorite Book (2010)
  • Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Goodreads Author (2010)
Welcome back, everyone!  Last week I reviewed the book Shiver, which is the first book of the Wolves of Mercy Falls series.  This week I am moving forward to review the second book Linger.

Linger picks up where Shiver left off.  We find out that Sam has finally beat the dreaded werewolf curse and Grace is as happy as ever.  Things start slowly spiraling as Grace starts coming down with a "bug".  It starts as headaches and spins into raging fevers.  Sam hates he can't fix what is wrong with Grace, but he decides he must try.  With the help of Isabel and the new wolf Cole, they decide to try to figure out what is wrong.

I have found that most "middle child" books or the second in a trilogy, are kind of terrible.  This book definitely fell into that middle child mold where it didn't leave a great vibe or resonate with me.  The story moved very slowly for this book.  I also didn't like that the book was told from.  The first book was from the perspective of Sam and Grace.  This book was told from Sam, Grace, Isabel, and Cole.  It felt like there were way too many voices trying to be heard.  Also, the fact that they switched characters in the middle of a chapter made it somewhat frustrating as well.  I don't remember being so irritated when I read it the first time, but maybe it is because I'm older and my reading preferences have changed.

While there were a lot of minor problems that added up to a general dislike, there was a quote in the book that really made me stop and think.
"She'd told me once that you could completely psychoanalyze someone on the sort of books they read."
This really got me to thinking about the books that I read and what it says about me.  I read a LOT of books.  I have shelves and shelves of books and a couple boxes full.  I have some books that are autobiographies.  I have books that are award winners.  I have a lot of books ideal for middle school-aged kids.  I have books that vary on topics from death to mental illness to adventure to dystopian.  So what does all of that say about me?  I honestly feel like my book choices vary so much that it would be hard to analyze me.  If anything it would show that I love to read.  But I also started thinking about students that I have had and how I could understand them better when I knew what kind of books they liked.  Knowing what books someone reads will really give you some insight as to who they are.

This book was just okay in my book.  It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't fantastic.  It was as I mentioned before, the middle child in this trilogy.  This book continues the trilogy so I definitely recommend it if you have read the first book.  I have to give it 3 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment