Friday, November 1, 2019

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

9409458From Goodreads,

"then.
When Sam met Grace, he was a wolf and she was a girl. Eventually he found a way to become a boy, and their love moved from curious distance to the intense closeness of shared lives.

now.
That should have been the end of their story. But Grace was not meant to stay human. Now she is the wolf. And the wolves of Mercy Falls are about to be killed in one final, spectacular hunt.

forever.
Sam would do anything for Grace. But can one boy and one love really change a hostile, predatory world? The past, the present, and the future are about to collide in one pure moment--a moment of death or life, farewell or forever."

Goodreads - Forever

Awards and Nominations:
  • Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction (2011)
  • Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Favorite Book (2011)
  • Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Goodreads Author (2011)
Welcome back to a third week with the wolves of Mercy Falls.  I read through the first two books fairly quickly, but I really struggled with this book.  It took me exactly a month to get through it and finally say that I was done.  That being said, let's move forward into the review part of this post.

Forever picks up with Grace as a wolf in the woods and with Sam as a human in Beck's house.  Sam soon finds out that the wolves will officially be hunted and killed by helicopter.  Sam must work with Cole and Isabel to figure out a way to save the wolves, especially Grace. 

This book moved very slowly for me.  It took a lot of willpower and forcing myself to finish it.  I felt like this book was thrown together at the last minute.  The chapters felt choppy and scattered.  I also felt like there wasn't a solid plot to this book, and trust me when I say I know plot.  Books need to have up and down movements.  Things to excite the reader and keep them reading.  Things that will keep hurtling the reader toward a fantastic finale.  This book just puttered along until it finally reached the hunt on the wolves.  Everything before that was completely anticlimactic. 

Aside from the book being terribly boring, I felt like there was too much focus on Isabel and Cole and not enough on the main characters Sam and Grace.  Shiver started with the love story between Sam and Grace and continued into LingerLinger really introduced Isabel and Cole into the series, and it was a perfect balance between all the characters.  However, I feel that Forever should have focused on Sam and Grace and what their forever meant.  Unfortunately, I read a lot about Isabel and Cole and their strange love-hate relationship.  I felt like Sam and Grace were somewhat put on the backburner.  I definitely feel like Stiefvater set this book up this way so that she could lead into the next book Sinner, which focuses on Cole and Isabel. 

Overall, I was really disappointed with this book.  I remember reading this book and absolutely loving the series.  I actually went back and looked at my past star rating on Goodreads and I gave it a whopping 5 stars.  Unfortunately, I just can't do that.  I have to give this 2 sad stars.  The book was a huge letdown and disappoint.  I feel like it didn't properly conclude the storyline with Sam and Grace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment