Friday, November 29, 2019

Piecing Me Together by Renee Watson

25566675From Goodreads,

"A timely and powerful story about a teen girl from a poor neighborhood striving for success, from acclaimed author Renée Watson.

Jade believes she must get out of her neighborhood if she’s ever going to succeed. Her mother says she has to take every opportunity. She has. She accepted a scholarship to a mostly-white private school and even Saturday morning test prep opportunities. But some opportunities feel more demeaning than helpful. Like an invitation to join Women to Women, a mentorship program for “at-risk” girls. Except really, it’s for black girls. From “bad” neighborhoods.

But Jade doesn’t need support. And just because her mentor is black doesn’t mean she understands Jade. And maybe there are some things Jade could show these successful women about the real world and finding ways to make a real difference.

Friendships, race, privilege, identity—this compelling and thoughtful story explores the issues young women face."

Goodreads - Piecing Me Together

Awards and Nominations:
  • Los Angeles Times Book Prize Nominee for Young Adult Literature (2017)
  • Newbery Medal Nominee (2018)
  • Jane Addams Children's Book Award for Older Children Honor (2018)
  • Coretta Scott King Award for Author (2018)
  • Evergreen Teen Book Award Nominee for High School (2020)
  • Rebecca Caudill Young Readers' Book Award Nominee (2020)
I try to read as often as I can, but I have been struggling lately to sit down and read.  I am still working my way through several award-winning lists.  This book is on the Coretta Scot King Award list, which meant it was one more to check off my list. 

Piecing Me Together is told by Jade who is a young African-American girl trying to not be what people see when they look at her.  Jade hates that people think she is just a poor girl in need, which is why she is always offered opportunities that others aren't.  She ends up participating in Women to Women, where she receives a mentor who is supposed to help answer questions and guide her in the right direction.  Jade finds that she is going to have to figure out who she is and use her voice to stand out. 

I teach plot to my students and I tell students there are different types of plot.  There's the merry-go-round, the kiddie coaster, and the ultimate roller coaster.  The merry-go-round is just a story with very little happening and very little excitement.  The kiddie coaster has a few small ups and downs, but at the end of everything you are wishing there was more.  The ultimate roller coaster has a huge plot and has lots of big hills and lots of big drops.  This is the book that leaves you completely thrilled at the end of it and you wouldn't mind going back and doing it all over again.  This book was very much a merry-go-round book.  It was really slow and just going in circles.  There were no exciting twists or events.  There were multiple things in the book that could have been amplified and played up, but unfortunately, Watson didn't do that. 

While the book lacked a solid plot, it had really great messages.  Two of the topics were friendship and race, but I really loved the confidence that Jade gained throughout the book.  In the beginning, Jade kept her mouth shut and she tried not to act black.  She tried her hardest to blend in with the white crowd at her school.  The more time she spent with her mentor Maxine and with the other members of the Women to Women program, she started to gain confidence.  Jade started to stand up for herself in racially tense situations.  She stood up to her friend about the opportunities she gets because she is white and Jade is black.  Jade realized that she could be black and confident.  I can make a list of girls that would benefit from learning confidence and trusting in yourself.  I know that I would have benefited from learning that carrying myself and speaking up would give me confidence.  I didn't gain true confidence until I was in college giving campus tours.  I had to talk to strangers and completely sell the campus so they would want to attend the college at our university.  I learned that speaking up and standing up for what is right is often better than sitting and being silent.  Jade learned this kind of confidence and it was one of the most valuable pieces that I pulled away from this book.  

Overall, the book was just okay.  There were points that I wish would have been emphasized on and I definitely wish there had been a stronger plot.  However, it was great seeing Jade change and become a young lady who had confidence in herself.  I give this book just 3 stars.  It was a slow read and lacked a lot for me.  I recommend it to young girls needing a confidence boost or to find themselves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment