Friday, February 21, 2020

The Sweetest Kind of Fate by Crystal Cestari

38507587From Goodreads,

"GREAT. I've somehow found myself tangled up with a siren, a mermaid, and a homicidal wicked witch who once tried to strangle me to death. Way to go, Amber!

Amber Sand, legendary matchmaker, couldn't be more surprised when her archnemesis, Ivy, asks for her help. Ivy's sister, Iris, is getting married, and Ivy wants to prove her sister is making a huge mistake. But as Amber looks into Iris's eyes, there doesn't seem to be a problem-Iris has clearly found her match.

It seems happily-ever-after is in the cards, but when Iris seeks out a dangerous, life-altering spell, it's up to Amber and Ivy to set aside their rivalry and save the day.

As Iris puts everything on the line for love, Amber continues to wrestle with her own romantic future. Her boyfriend, Charlie, is still destined for another, and no matter how hard she clings to him, fear over their inevitable breakup shakes her belief system to the core.

Because the Fates are never wrong-right?"

Goodreads - The Sweetest Kind of Fate

I read the first book of this series a few weeks ago, not knowing it was part of a series.  I really enjoyed it even though it was centered around witches and their magical qualities.  I saw copies at Books-A-Million and knew I was going to go back to purchase them once I got paid.  The only problem is that when I went back they had already been purchased by someone.  I ended up ordering them online and I'm excited I can finally share my thoughts on the second book of the Windy City Magic series.

The Sweetest Kind of Fate picks up where The Best Kind of Magic left off.  Amber is still head over heels for Charlie, even though she can see his match and it isn't her.  Amber's arch-nemesis Ivy comes to her for help.  Ivy's sister Iris wants to become a mermaid so she can be with the love of her life Brooke.  Amber confirms they are meant to be, but Iris seeks help from Victoria who has a troubling history with Amber's mother.  Amber soon finds that Iris is in a lot of trouble and they have to save her.  While trying to save Iris, Amber comes clean to Charlie about his match.  She must try to keep it together while juggling relationships, crazy witches, and her future.

This book follows right behind the first book, and this book felt easier to read.  There were fewer magical elements in my opinion.  I really liked that all the characters had some kind of development.  I feel like they were able to develop without having magic shoved down my throat every page.  I really liked the character development of Ivy.  We see her go from being a siren (someone who can manipulate people) to being just like everyone else.  I love that she finally got a solid role and was able to transition into a different person.  We see her literally soften from her hard ice queen persona.  I really feel that in the next book she will form a friendship with Amber, Amani, and Kim. 

This book really focused on love and relationships.  There was a quote at the end of the book that I absolutely loved.  It said,
"Love is a surrender, giving in to the unknown and hoping for the best."
I really like this quote because love is surrendering yourself to the person you love.  You have no idea what is going to happen in that relationship and you honestly hope for the best.  This entire quote sums up being in a relationship.  I know I definitely can look back and see this quote playing out with my boyfriend and me.  In a relationship, you surrender some of your wants and needs for the person you are in a relationship with.  My boyfriend gave up moving back to Missouri, while I gave up living in my hometown.  We lived two hours apart for two years and we were finally able to move in together.  We had no idea what to expect living with each other and we literally had to hope for the best.  It hasn't been easy by no means, but it has been a journey like none other.  We keep traveling into the unknown and hoping it all falls in place.

This book had fewer curse words than the first book.  I was upset that we saw less of Charlie in this book.  Naturally, it was because Amber and Charlie broke up, but I felt like he should have had more of a presence in the book so he could have character development like everyone else in the book.

Overall, this was a good secondary book.  Most second books in a series are either my favorite or the absolute worst.  This book was right down the middle and felt like the perfect bridge between the first book and the third.  I'm excited to get started on the final book in the series, The Fairest Kind of Love.  I give this book 4 stars.  Definitely read this if you read the first book!

No comments:

Post a Comment