Friday, March 27, 2020

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

29241319. sx318From Goodreads,

"Prepare to be spellbound by Jim Kay’s dazzling full-colour illustrations in this stunning new edition of J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Breathtaking scenes, dark themes and unforgettable characters – including Dobby and Gilderoy Lockhart – await inside this fully illustrated edition. With paint, pencil and pixels, award-winning illustrator Jim Kay conjures the wizarding world as we have never seen it before. Fizzing with magic and brimming with humour, this inspired reimagining will captivate fans and new readers alike, as Harry and his friends, now in their second year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, seek out a legendary chamber and the deadly secret that lies at its heart …"

Goodreads - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Awards and Nominations:
  • Nestle Smarties Book Prize for 9-11 years (1998)
  • British Book Award (1999)
  • Prijs van de Jonge Jury (2002)
  • Books I Loved Best Yearly (BILBY) Awards for Older Readers (2006)
  • Colorado Blue Spruce Young Book Award (2008)
  • Golden Archer Award for Middle/Junior High (2008)
  • Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature (2008)
Almost a year later, I am traveling back to Hogwarts.  My mom and I were shopping just before Christmas, and I pointed out the book and mentioned I needed to get it.  She told me to put it in our cart and to "come on."  I reluctantly put it in the cart and I am now excitedly getting to review it.  This is another illustrated edition, just like my review of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's StoneI am just extremely upset that I am just now reading this series in my mid-twenties.

Harry Potter found out a year ago that he was a wizard with a very interesting past.  He is looking forward to returning to Hogwarts to get away from the terrible Dursley's he is living with.  After an awful evening with dinner guests, Ron and his brother's help get Harry out of the Dursley's house.  Harry and all of the Weasley kids soon return to Hogwarts only to find that someone has opened the Chamber of Secrets.  All of the students remain on edge until they all hear Harry speaking parseltongue.  They soon become skeptical that he is the heir of Slytherin and that he is the one who has opened the Chamber.  Harry, Hermoine, and Ron must work together to figure out what is happening to save all of Hogwarts and its students.

I was beyond excited that Dobby has finally entered the books.  He was easily one of my favorite characters from the movie.  He means well but tends to completely screw things up.  And then he punishes himself for screwing up.  I don't think I have ever connected with a character like I do with Dobby.  I too often find myself meaning well, messing things up, and then anxiously hating myself for messing up.

I was also really intrigued by Ron and Hermoine and their relationship.  This was the first time that I started to see Ron really defend and protect Hermoine as well as knowing her extremely well.  I'm excited to see how their relationship unfolds throughout the book, as I know how it will happen in the movies.  I am curious to see if it is similar or if there are more subtle hints hidden along the way.

I still love the illustrated books of this series.  The illustrations are absolutely stunning.  Sometimes I hate that I have watched the movies before I read the books.  While I was reading I was constantly comparing the book to what I remembered of the movie.  I specifically don't remember Colin in the movies, but he had a clear and defined role in the book.  I also don't remember Harry and Ron going into the forest to talk to a large spider that Hagrid had kept hidden away as a pet.  I still absolutely enjoyed this book and the illustrations.

I am slowly becoming a Potterhead and am happily sorted into Hufflepuff.  I am excited to knock out the next book in the series.  I will happily give this book 5 stars.  The illustrated versions are large in size but have an amazing collection of illustrations and designs.  I recommend this as a bedtime storybook to read to a first-time reader/listener of the series.  

No comments:

Post a Comment