Friday, March 15, 2019

Calling Maggie May by Anonymous

23309607From Goodreads,

"A dark and edgy first-person cautionary tale about how one girl’s seemingly minor choices quickly spiraled into a life as a sex worker in the tradition of Go Ask Alice and Lucy in the Sky.

She had a normal life, until one small decision changed everything. Suddenly, there were new possibilities and new experiences.

But not all of those experiences were good.

Read her shocking story in the diary she left behind."

Goodreads - Calling Maggie May

This book is part of the Anonymous Diaries.  I read Go Ask Alice first and enjoyed the idea of the book being based on a true story.  Things spiraled from there and I've read most of the books that are a part of the series.  I was so  excited to get this book checked off my list, but I felt really let down when I finally finished it.

This book is written in the traditional diary format with the name of the author being withheld.  The book starts with a teenage girl feeling lonely and wanting attention from a boy.  She ends up making a new friend who ends up being a prostitute.  The girl quickly falls into the same lifestyle of prostitution and things quickly spiral with her family, her friends, school, and her social life.  In true fashion the book comes to an end with an author's note about what happened.

I feel like the older I get the more I get annoyed with these books.  The author of this "diary" was very naive and childish.  She lived in a nice house with a nice family who cared deeply for her.  They were a little bit demanding as far as school was concerned, but she still had a positive atmosphere to go home to.  The author fell so quickly into the life of prostitution because she was able to get attention from boys and men.  I think that this idea of getting attention by selling your body is a terrible idea to put into the minds of young adults.  I think that any young girl who has self esteem or confidence issues would quickly think that selling your body would mean that a person likes you and that it will get you attention.  Also, any girl needing money may get the idea that they can easily sell their body to earn easy and quick cash.  I think it is important for difficult topics such as prostitution be included in literature for teens.  However, I think it needs to be introduced in a way that doesn't make it seem like a fun, appealing way to get attention or make money.  This book paints a false picture.  It briefly touched on the real parts of prostitution, such as drug use, abuse, rape, and death.  I feel like if prostitution was going to be the centerpiece of the book that it should have been painted realistically, and not in a way that makes it seem fun.

I always have the complaint that these books never include the author's name.  I always feel like I need a name to connect with a character.  The lack of a name for the main character always leaves me feeling irritated and finding a better connection with a secondary character.  The book is titled, Calling Maggie May.  I definitely thought that her hooker name was going to be Maggie May, but it wasn't.  I'm still not sure what the connection was to that name because the name Maggie May was never once mentioned in the book. 

I'm not sure why I keep putting myself through the misery of reading these books.  I guess I continue to hope that one of them will jump out and I'll love it.  I give this 1 star.  I don't advise this for young adults, especially those who are easily impressionable, wanting attention, or seeking money.  If you are reading through the Anonymous Diaries then I obviously recommend reading this, but if not you can absolutely skip it and not miss anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment