Friday, June 10, 2016

The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine


15812771From Goodreads:

"As twelve-year-old Marlee starts middle school in 1958 Little Rock, it feels like her whole world is falling apart. Until she meets Liz, the new girl at school. Liz is everything Marlee wishes she could be: she's brave, brash and always knows the right thing to say. But when Liz leaves school without even a good-bye, the rumor is that Liz was caught passing for white. Marlee decides that doesn't matter. She just wants her friend back. And to stay friends, Marlee and Liz are even willing to take on segregation and the dangers their friendship could bring to both their families."

Goodreads - The Lions of Little Rock

Awards:
  • Pennsylvania Young Readers' Choice Award Nominee for Grades 6-8 - 2014
  • New Mexico Land of Enchantment Award for Young Adult - 2015

As a teacher I find it very hard to not purchase books.  I see books I like.  I see books I want.  And then I purchase these books.  It's a terrible cycle, but it is money well spent.  That being said, it is very hard for me to simply place Scholastic book orders without shopping for myself.  After about 3 hours of looking through young adult books I had a shopping cart piled with books that was totaling up to over fifty dollars.  One of the books that I was purchasing was The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine.  I had heard of the book a few years prior and was very interested in reading it since I am from Arkansas.  I never really went out of my way to purchase the book.  So naturally when I saw it on Scholastic, I decided to go ahead and buy it.

This book takes place after the 1957 integration of Little Rock's Central High School.  The story is told by Marlee who is a quiet girl who is simply going through the motions.  She doesn't talk and doesn't have much of a voice.  When school starts back a new girl is at school.  Her name is Liz and she soon befriends Marlee.  As the story unfolds we find out that Liz is African American and trying to stay out of trouble and harms way.  Marlee and Liz help each other in ways they can only imagine.  Marlee finds her voice and Liz learns how to not use hers.  I absolutely loved reading the story of Marlee and Liz and how their friendship blossoms.

After reading this book I realized that there was a lot that I didn't know about the Little Rock Nine and what followed afterwards.  Sure I remember the Little Rock Nine being mentioned in history class in high school.  I don't remember it ever being discussed in my Arkansas history class in college.  From an educator standpoint I feel that this book should be a part of the Arkansas history curriculum.  This book does take place after the integration of Central High School, but it is still such a moving and historical piece.  I learned quite a bit from this book and would love to read a book from the aspect of Liz.  In the book we saw Marlee's point of view and the events happening in her life.  I would love to know the events, thoughts, and feelings of Liz throughout the book.

This book is a must read for everyone and I give it 4 out of 5 stars.  The Lions of Little Rock is a book that should be read by everyone at some point in their life.  Ernest Green, one of the nine who enrolled at Central High School said, "We wanted to widen options for ourselves, and later for our children."  I love this quote.  You should widen your options and opportunities for yourselves so that the future children will have better options and opportunities.  Take a leap, strengthen your knowledge, and read this book.  It'll be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment